1. Great stuff on data-driven decision making in a new O’Reilly book by Carl Anderson (@LeapingLlamas), Creating the Data-Driven Organization. Very impressive overview of the many things that need to happen, and best practices for making them happen. Runs the gamut from getting & analyzing the data, to creating the right culture, to the psychology of decision-making. We’re delighted that our PepperSlice app is referenced (pages 187-188 and Figure 9-7).
2. Healthcare success story. “Data-driven decision making has improved patient outcomes in Intermountain’s cardiovascular medicine, endocrinology, surgery, obstetrics and care processes — while saving millions of dollars in procurement and in its the supply chain.”
3. What the C-Suite needs to understand about applied machine learning: 1) description, 2) prediction, 3) prescription. McKinsey’s executive guide to machine learning 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.
4. Place = Opportunity. Where kids grow up has a big impact on what they earn as adults; new evidence on patterns of upward mobility. Recap by @UrbanInstitute‘s Margery Austin Turner (@maturner).
5. Open innovation improves the odds of biotech product survival. Analysis by Deloitte’s Ralph Marcello shows the value of working together, sharing R&D data.
Posted by Tracy Allison Altman on 14-Nov-2016.